Crystal Springs Recreation Area
Nestled in the rolling foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Wytheville boasts lots of recreation opportunities! Conveniently located at the crossroads of Interstates 77 and 81, this small town welcomes visitors with endless opportunities to relax, learn, and spend time outdoors with family. The Town of Wytheville’s Crystal Springs Recreation Area is located on 1800 acres of town property separated from the actual town by Sand Mountain.
The recreation area is surrounded by the 7500 acre Big Survey Wildlife Management Area, managed by the Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources. The focal point of the trail system is the old reservoir located on the main stream that cuts through the property, Venrick Run. The reservoir was built in the early 1900’s with hopes that it would be the town’s main water source; however, there was not enough water volume so the reservoir was used as a supplemental source of water for the town instead. In 2010 the Town of Wytheville opened a small trail system funded through a grant from the Wythe-Bland Foundation and has since opened an additional 7 mile loop funded through grants from the Wythe-Bland Foundation and the Recreational Trails Program.
723 Pump Hollow Lane, Wytheville, VA 24382
GPS: 36.900 -81.092
TERRAIN PARK RULES:
- RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
- JUMPS, DROPS, ROCKS, AND GAPS DO EXIST
- ALTERNATE LINES ARE MORE DIFFICULT THAN THE OUTER LINES
- STAY IN CONTROL
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR AVOIDING OBJECTS AND PEOPLE
- BICYCLE HELMETS ARE REQUIRED
- INSPECT THE TRAIL AND FEATURES
- CONDITIONS CAN CHANGE SUDDENLY, PLAN AND ADJUST YOUR RIDING ACCORDINGLY
- IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DON’T RIDE ALONE
- STAY ON DESIGNATED MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS
- DO NOT MODIFY TRAILS OR FEATURES
- TRAILS AND FEATURES WITHIN THE TERRAIN PARK ARE RATED AT THE “MORE DIFFICULT, VERY DIFFICULT, AND EXTREMELY DIFFICULT LEVELS. KNOW YOUR SKILL LEVEL.
Wytheville and Wythe County are all about fun and experiencing incredible attractions that you will only find here in our small but bountiful part of Southwest Virginia.
Due to its stellar location at I-81 and I-77, as well as some divine cuisine, Wytheville has long been known by travelers as THE place to stop and have some great food.