- Wytheville… There’s Only One! Our branding theme because there is not another town named Wytheville in the entire world.
- Named for George Wythe, the first person from Virginia to sign the Declaration of Independence and the first American law professor who taught Presidents Thomas Jefferson & James Monroe.
- Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of beautiful Southwest Virginia at the intersection of Interstates 77 & 81.
- Fun Fact: Interstates 81 & 77 run together in a Wrong-way concurrency for approximately ten miles, meaning you are traveling on I 77 Northbound and I 81 Southbound at the same time while actually traveling due West.
- Home of Edith Bolling Wilson, second wife of President Woodrow Wilson. Her birthplace is now a museum, one of only eight First Lady museums in the country. The Bolling Wilson Hotel, located across the street, is a chic boutique hotel named in her honor and themed upon her life.
- Home to Big Walker Lookout, Virginia’s oldest privately-owned attraction. Featuring a country store showcasing Virginia artisans, authors and local musicians and a 100 foot observation tower allowing a panoramic view of five states.
- A Summer Without Children – in the Summer of 1950 Wytheville was hit by the Polio epidemic resulting in the highest number of confirmed cases in the nation, 185 cases. “The worst per capita polio outbreak in the US.” This epidemic is memorialized in a permanent exhibit at Wytheville’s Thomas J. Boyd Museum.
- New River Trail State Park is a 57-mile linear trail situated along the New River on a reclaimed rail roadbed. Contrary to its name, the New River is one of the oldest rivers in the world, second only to the Nile and like the Nile flows from South to North.
- Wytheville was the boyhood home of William Gibson, award-winning Science Fiction author and “Father of Cyberspace”. His 1982 short-story collection entitled Burning Chrome marked the first appearance of the term.
7 THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN WYTHEVILLE THIS SEASON
Wytheville and Wythe County are all about fun and experiencing incredible attractions that you will only find here in our small but bountiful part of Southwest Virginia.
5 RESTAURANTS IN WYTHEVILLE THE LOCALS LOVE
Due to its stellar location at I-81 and I-77, as well as some divine cuisine, Wytheville has long been known by travelers as THE place to stop and have some great food.
ROMANTIC GETAWAYS IN WYTHEVILLE
With a historic boutique hotel and an award winning luxury bed and breakfast, Wytheville is a great destination for your romantic getaway.
BEST MOTORCYCLE RIDE IN WYTHEVILLE
Featuring more than 200 miles of incredible scenery, Claw of the Dragon is one of the most popular bike rides in the South among motorcycle enthusiasts.
Wind: 2mph E
UV index: 0
I'll Be Home for Christmas
November 4th - December 23rd
Fun for the whole family, “I’ll Be Home for Christmas” will get you in the spirit of the season!